Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Uh, uh, uh

Well. We will certainly and joyously have our hands full with this whole parenting thing. Many months ago, I was cautioned that I will have to choose my words carefully because Livy is smart (and ornery). I was reminded of Mendy's warning in the bathroom stall at Barnes and Noble last night. While I was standing in front of Olivia for quite some time, I played with the tag on her jacket. When she noticed this she scolded in a kind but serious way, "No, no, Momma." I took this as an opportunity to teach her about "No, no" - how mommies and daddies can tell this to their children because it's our job to take care of and teach them, how she can say this one day when she is a Mommy, and how it is not ok for her to tell her mommy or daddy "no, no" - yadda, yaddah, yadda. She simply looked at me and with the same tone of voice shook her head and said, "Uh, uh, uh, Momma." Boy, oh, boy, she makes it so HARD to keep a straight face sometimes.

On another note, I think it's time to buy one of these:

Because someone brought me a gallon of milk while I typed this post.

In other random news:

~I heard the phrase, "My mom is a lover" in the third grade classroom yesterday.

~Livy now tries to keep Daddy from tickling her when she's grumpy by saying, "I'm al-ready happy!"

~I am completely taking advantage of this inclement weather day by reading, cuddling, wearing sweats, and singing & dancing, all while wearing some comfy sweats (did I already mention that part?).

~One of the two most challenging kids I've ever taught (both are in the class I'm subbing in) was being completely rotten on Monday, stopped in his tracks, darted across the room to give me a HUGE bear hug, and returned to his spot to continue being horrible. We've made great strides in the past few weeks, and I can make it through this job under these conditions. :0)

~Olivia Saves the Circus and Olivia Forms a Band are keeping us entertained lately. These books are cute and random, and Olivia the Pig reminds me a bit of my own Olivia.


~And this weekend, we had so much fun watching Enchanted. When it was over, we (yes, both of us) put on our most twirly dresses, pulled out the tiaras and other dress-up gear, and sang and danced together all over the house. If you've seen the movie, you'll remember when Giselle pokes her head out the window and beckons all lovely and not-so-lovely creatures to aid her with her household duties by singing a series of "Ah"s. I couldn't possibly even begin to count the number of times I've heard, "Momma, sing 'Ah-ah-ah.'" I absolutely love it. I think I may have to break down and buy this movie for someone's birthday. I'm not big on buying movies. I really try to limit being "plugged in" to the t.v., but I'll make an exception for this one. (And for The Sound of Music. I don't feel as bad when it moves us to sing and dance.)

Getting ready to dance. I just love her room. Not that there's any kind of design element to it - I just think it's filled with sweetness.

Here we go!


So much fun!

Aw, she danced 'til she dropped.

Even Gracie got involved. She looks pretty happy, right?

I love her squinty-getting-ready-for-the-camera-flash look. (I don't love the double chin in the pic. However, I'm not quite motivated enough to do anything about it right now. Soon, maybe.)

Gracie's no longer speaking to me. Poor Gracie.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, Gracie will get over it - actually the purple looks gorgeous with her silvery coat. ;)

Oh, my baby cousin isn't a baby anymore! She's just so precious, and I can't wait to see her (and her parents!) again!

Fridge lock - um, yeah, one of the things I thought I'd never hear myself say: "Jay, get out of the fridge, please." (He used to open the door and stand inside.) :)

Carissa said...

Don't worry I have one of those double chins too. I keep saying when I'm done having kids I'll do something about it. haha. Speaking of the book series OLIVA, she now has her own show. I think it's on Noggin. I'm not sure but Ronnie and Julie both like to watch it. I'm so glad you enjoyed your snow day. It looks like you had a blast. We made homemade sugar cookies.

Stephanie Robertson said...

YAY!!! Thank you for posting again! Your little baby is turning into such a little girl! My favorite part is her telling her daddy she's already happy, hilarious! You have a smart little one on your hands. I'm so excited to see you guys again soon.

You Little O Wife said...

I loved all the pictures! Your daughter is beautiful, and I love hearing about her big personality. Hope you're doing well!

Amber said...

How sweet! Don't you just love those precious mother/daughter moments together? This post made me chuckle. ;)

Terri said...

Love it!!! Enjoy these times! They grow up too fast!